Child hospitalized after drinking Monster energy drink

11:34 AM, Oct 11, 2011   |    comments
Monster Khaos and Rockstar high-energy drinks
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WLKY) -- A Louisville mother said she's concerned about the safety of energy drinks after her daughter ended up in the emergency room after drinking one.

Angela Stokes said her daughter's experience should be a wake-up call to all parents.

Under the law, there is no age limit on energy drinks, but Stokes said she thinks there should be after what happened to her 10-year-old daughter, Ollivia Strickland, while attending a skating party.

"She came home from skating and she was real hyper and jumping around and she said her heart was beating really fast," said Stokes.

"She was super-hyper. I thought after skating for four or five hours, she'd be worn out, but she was just hyper," said Adam Laslie, Ollivia's stepfather.

Stokes and Laslie said they knew something wasn't right with Ollivia.

"So her heart started racing and her blood pressure went up and her anxiety went up and we ended up in the emergency room," said Stokes.

Stokes and Laslie said Ollivia's blood pressure skyrocketed to dangerous levels. It wasn't long before they found out one of Ollivia's friends, another child at the skating party, had given her a green Monster energy drink. On the back of the can, it warns it's not recommended for children.

Olliva said not long after she drank it, she felt "tingly."

"Like from my shoulder to the tip of my finger, it was hurting," said Ollivia.

Since the popularity of energy drinks has increased, the cases of deaths, seizures and adverse reactions has climbed in young adults.

Our sister station WLKY did a test in 2007 that showed how a teen's blood pressure can increase drastically with the caffeine loaded beverages, especially when a child or teen is on medications that can cause adverse reactions to the drinks.

Ollivia is asthmatic and on albuterol. Her parents fear the combination of the drink and her prescription medication could have been fatal, so they say parents should be warned.

Even the thought of another energy drink turns Ollivia's stomach. "I'm thinking, how can these people like this stuff?" Ollivia said.

Last May, the American Academy of Pediatrics released a report warning parents energy drinks can be dangerous, even deadly for children. The American Association of Poison Control Centers said there have already been 331 cases of severe effects from the energy drinks in teens and children this year alone.

Pediatricians also warn parents if their child is on any medications that are used for ADHD or ADD, energy drinks can be extremely dangerous.

Most Watched Videos